Sunday, June 26, 2011

Book Of Shadows by Cate Tiernan

Book Of Shadows by Cate Tiernan
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 176
Series: Sweep Book One
Rating: 4/5




"Something is happening to me that I don't understand. I see things, feel things in a new way. I can do things normal people can't do.  Powerful things.  Magickal things. It scares me.  I never chose to learn witchcraft.  But I'm starting to wonder if witchcraft is choosing me."

I must admit, this series is one of my guilty pleasures.  I’m firmly against Twilight and books of that nature but yet I still love Sweep even though it contains the some of the same, for lack of a better word, problems. Although there is not stalking! At least not that I remember…

Book of Shadows starts on the first day of school.  Morgan and her best friend Bree are entering junior year of high school and everyone is gaga over a new senior named Cal.  Cal has this ability to get along with everyone and within a week he has invited most of the upperclassmen to a party in a field.  At this party Morgan participates in her first Wiccan ritual and suddenly she finds herself obsessed with learning more about this culture.

This is my second time reading Book of Shadows and I loved it just as much the second time.  Granted, the first time I read this book was approximately four years ago so I wasn’t remembering the plot while I was reading.  I find Morgan incredibly relatable with her non-existent boobs and beautiful best friend who gets all the guys.  I was replacing myself with Morgan throughout the book. In her place I would have made the same choices and said the same things.

Cal…how can you not love the sexy, perfect, mysterious, new kid? That is exactly who Cal is. Even after finishing the book I have no idea who he is but I still want to follow him into the Wiccan religion.  However, I thought Cal was flat.  He always did what he should, never spoke up and never really showed any personality.  I hope that we’ll get to know him more in the later books, because right now he is just kind and hot.

While you will enjoy this book if you’re a big fan of mysterious, secretive, sexy, no-personality men I would definitely suggest this book, it would also be very informative if you wanted to learn more about the Wiccan beliefs, rituals and cultures.  In my opinion Sweep would be much more informative then The House of Night series. Merry met, merry part and merry meet again.

1 comment:

  1. I am a massive fan of this book. I think my favourite character would be Raven. <3 Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete