Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Mediator: Shadowland by Meg Cabot

The Mediator: Shadowland by Meg Cabot
Published: 2005
Publisher: Avon Books (Harper Collins)
Pages: 287
Series: Book 1 in The Mediator
Rating:
5/5

"There's a hot guy in Suzannah Simon's bedroom. Too bad he's a ghost.
Suze is a mediator - a liaison between the living and the dead.  In other words, she sees dead people.  And they won't leave her alone until she helps them resolve their unfinished business with the living.  But Jesse, the hot ghost haunting her bedroom, doesn't seem to need her help.  Which is a relief, because Suze has just moved to sunny California and plans to start fresh, with trips to the mall instead of spectral visitations.
But the very first day at her new school, Suze realizes it's not that easy.  There's a ghost with revenge on her mind...and Suze happens to be in the way."

 I can now completely understand why so many people love this book and the series The Mediator.  Meg Cabot does a great job telling the story with truly compelling characters that I would love to meet.  Just take away the whole seeing ghosts thing. I couldn’t put this book down. I read it outside in the sun and didn’t even realize I’d gotten badly sun burnt. Ah well.

I, for one, can appreciate the setting of this book. It is set in a Northern California town called Carmel and the main character Suze, goes to school in a mission.  I live in Northern California and have been to Carmel more than once so I could really connect with the setting.  Also the mission was described true to what missions in California actually look like. Also the fog in the morning which burns off by noon is exactly how everyday is in north California.  Details like that showed me that Meg Cabot really knew what she was writing about.

I also loved the characters.  Suze was just perfectly feisty and independent but she still loved the fact that she fit in and was being invited places. Plus I loved that if a ghost doesn’t cooperate the first thing she does is punch them.  Jesse was perfect!  Okay, he did stalk her a little which is creepy but besides that, he is adorable.  And he’s really really sexy. And the banter between Suze and Jesse is just so cute and you know they want to jump each other.  Heather, the ghost who wants revenge, was also great. At times I really felt for her.  I could understand why she wanted revenge and how she had got to be so crazy. Plus all the other characters, Father Dom, CeeCee, Adam and Doc, were great and normal.  Plus the cuteness that radiates from Doc is amazing. I wish he was my little brother.

If you’re looking for a cute summer read with some ghosts thrown in read Shadowland.  Even though they do go to school, the beach is present and school work is put in the background.  I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Especially to learn what will happen between Jesse and Suze.


1 comment:

  1. I like this book, I have read it 3 days ago, and I love it so much. Although, I haven't read the third book.

    ReplyDelete