Saturday, April 16, 2011

Wish You Were Dead by Todd Strasser

Wish You Were Dead by Todd Strasser
Release Date: October 13th, 2009
Publisher: Egmont
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 247
Source: Bought
Buy the Book: Amazon
Rating: 3/5

"No one at Soundview High takes the recent death wishes of an anonymous blogger seriously, until the very students talked about start mysteriously disappearing.  After dropping off Lucy following a night of partying, Madison is wracked with guild when her popular classmate vanishes.  And Madison makes it her mission to discover what really happened..."






This story is told through the eyes of Madison.  A popular, nice, rich school in a neighborhood where nothing ever happens.  So when Madison's friends start getting kidnapped, everyone freaks.  This kidnapper targets the elite 'mean' kids in order to show them what it feels like to be bullied and unpopular.

To say it bluntly, this book just didn't scare me.  I started it hoping to get scared and jump at each and every shadow I saw while reading this.  It never delivered on that front.  I went to bed after reading this book with absolutely no problem and I had to go sleep with my parents after watching Paranormal Activity.   

Another problem was the characters.  In the summary in the back it says "Madison makes it her mission to discover what really happened" and that is so untrue.  Madison never did anything except sit back and act afraid until someone else came up with a lead.  In fact all but two characters just acted afraid.  It was almost as if everyone in the book was so worried and scared that I didn't have to be.  I missed yelling at the character because they're doing the stupid yet brave act that will get them captured and/or hurt.

I have to give it props that I didn't figure out who the killer was before it was revealed.  Although there were other twists about the blog and the characters that I could pick out a mile away.

Overall, I think the only redeeming fact about this book is it's cover.  If you see it for less than $3 then get it other wise just let it sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment