Monday, August 12, 2013

BostonCon 2013

You do not know this, but I have made wonderful internet friends in the 5ish years I've been on the internet.  We met way back in 2009 on a forum for younger people attending a Harry Potter Convention called Infinitus summer of 2010.  We were all under 18 at this point, my parents were sincerely worried that one of them would turn out to be a pervert and rape us all.  Needless to say, all of us were legitimate and 4 years later we still interact with one another on a daily basis.
This may be the only group photo...
Having met-up at various conventions over the years, we were disappointed that there would be no convention this summer.  Yes, LeakyCon was happening but since it was in Portland when most of them live on the east coast, it was impossible.  Then, Grace offered up her house in Westport, Massachusetts for a week so we all booked some plane tickets and arrived on her doorstep a couple months later.
I'm not even slightly exaggerating, this is all we did and it was amazing
I was at Grace's house for a week and frankly we didn't do much.  We saw This Is The End in theaters, played Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets for X-Box 3 times, and ate a package of cookies every night. But some days were packed.  On several occasions all 7 of us packed into a mini cooper and went on an adventure.  We visited Providence, RI twice and we drove to Grace's boarding school one day.
Mom, Dad and the kids!
On some day, we needed to pick up Victoria from Boston, however Rob, Kate and I opted to visit the beach.  First things first, east coast beaches are not the same.  First, they're PRIVATE! Who has private beaches? In Westport we had to visit the beach via Grace's club and when I accidentally walked too far, on to private property, I was glared at. What? You can walk however far you want to on a California beach, I've never seen a private CA beach outside of Malibu.  Second, the water was really warm for a gloomy day. The Pacific is never warm.  Third, the waves were so much smaller.  Now, I don't know if this is a fact, but I've grown up on the Pacific where you don't trust the ocean.  You have to pay attention to the waves otherwise you risk being swept away to your death.  This isn't true with the Atlantic.  The waves were calm, tiny and worrisome. It's just strange. Finally, they left us there for a good 5 hours. Friendship!
Rob heroically walking into the waves.
All in all, it was a beautiful week that we're already planning to recreate next summer.  I'm really thankful for all the wonderful trips I've had this summer. At the end of my junior year, I was stressed and the next school year was not welcome.  Now, looking at my last 3 weeks of freedom, I actually can't wait to go back.  I know it will be hard but I also know that I have so many great memories to look back on and smile.
Having met via Harry we had to stop when we saw him painted on a window, it's only natural!
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment