Monday, May 13, 2013

A Public Apology // 13


A little late to the bandwagon, I'm going to begin participating in Story Of My Life's blog every day in May challenge.  1/3 of May may be over (hehe) but inspiration is always welcome.  Today's prompt is to issue a public apology.  There are many things I could put here, like the fact that I mumble and don't enunciate properly causing many people to not understand me, but what I would rather talk about is my horrible taste in music.  For example, I just skipped a Nirvana song on Pandora but kept the Jonas Brothers song.

I have subjected too many friends to my horrible taste.  It doesn't help that they're all hippies or musicians raised on either classical or obscure music.  I grew up listening to Radio Disney.  My parents don't even listen to anything "good" just the pop music of their eras.

There are three facets of my horrible taste.  First, is pop music.  Anything on the radio I will love.  No matter how bad the song, within a few hearings, I will know it and love it.  This love of pop stretches back to the early 2000s.  I still, proudly, sing along with Hilary Duff, Jump 5, Play, Jesse McCartney, Bowling For Soup, and more are added every year.  I may know every One Direction and The Wanted songs.

Next is what I like to call internet music.  Alex Day, Charlie McDonnell, Harry and the Potters, Ministry of Magic, The Whomping Willow , Starkid, Tom Milsom, The Remus Lupins, etc.  If you don't know any of these bands, don't worry.  They all sing about nerdy topics such as acne, doctor who, harry potter, firefly, and angler fish.  I love it because it represents a time period of my life, but the quality can be some of the shittiest I've ever heard.

Last comes the semi-okay bit.  I do listen to people who I consider "good" like AWOLNATION, John Mayer, The Killers, The Script, Mumford and Sons, Macklemore, Oasis, and Snow Patrol.  However, these songs are never on when other people are around.

So, what's your opinion?  Should I hide my iPod from any potential friends or belt out 'I Am Harry Potter' loud and proud?  If you're interested, here's a playlist of some of my favorite songs right now.




Oh right, the apology, I'm sorry I subject you to out of tune songs with bad lyrics but sometimes you've got to accept the awful.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Alex Day and Charlie McDonell!! I listen to "I've got what it takes" on repeat...your taste in music is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! I just listened to "I've Got What It Takes" for the first time yesterday and fell in love!!! The music video is really cool as well.

      Delete